Does Metformin help or hurt weight loss? I am no longer diabetic but don't know whether to stop

ElBastardo

ElBastardo

Zephir
I am a former fatcell. I developed type II diabetes due to being fat. I was prescribed metformin for the diabetes. But the diabetes was causing other health problems which resulted in health coverage for gastric bypass. I have now lost over 70 pounds. The doctors said I could stop the metformin because my labs were good, but I don't know if I should or not. I still have some weight I want to lose. Right now I'm at a normal BMI and prolly around 20% bf. I wanted to get lean and shredded so I want to continue to lose a bit more weight.

My question is if I should continue to take the metformin to lose weight, or if it hinders weight loss. The doctor gave me the choice of whether or not to continue it, but I wanted to understand better how Metformin works in relationship to my weight loss. Would it slow it down, or speed it up?

You can’t be serious? You took something without knowing it’s function? 🤨

Well if your doctor prescribes you something, and you actually have diabetes, and the doctor says to take it to help your diabetes. Yeah you take it, without really knowing how it works. My doctor doesn't really care about my plans to get to a low BF, but was more concerned about the diabetes. So I don't think he'd be too up on me continuing to take diabetes meds just to lose weight, so that's why I'm asking other people.

Well if your doctor prescribes you something, and you actually have diabetes, and the doctor says to take it to help your diabetes. Yeah you take it, without really knowing how it works. My doctor doesn't really care about my plans to get to a low BF, but was more concerned about the diabetes. So I don't think he'd be too up on me continuing to take diabetes meds just to lose weight, so that's why I'm asking other people.
Metformin lowers your blood sugar levels by improving the way your body handles insulin. So it will aid in weight loss

• +1
Reactions: ElBastardo