How to avoid a "botched" rhinoplasty

B

babyfaced

Iron
When looking at results for a "crooked nose rhinoplasty" (because I need one.) I noticed the majority of the end results looked uncanny. I believe I have figured out why.

Below, I've outlined the difference between midline symmetry prioritization and IPD (or eye symmetry) prioritization using morphs of my face to explain it.

Midline symmetry prioritization:

IPD (eye symmetry) prioritization:

Here is a side by side comparison of each prioritization mirrored on top of one another. Notice how midline prioritization shows greater symmetrical divergence when inverted.

Midline symmetry prioritization and IPD (eye symmetry) prioritization morphs (respectively)

This is my first thread here, so I'm still getting the hang of formatting. Hope this benefitted anyone wondering why some rhinoplasties look uncanny.

Here is an example of an "uncanny" result due to midline symmetry prioritization:

Symmetry analysis:

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • Hmm...
Reactions: BowlCutMogger, pneumocystosis, Deleted member 32485 and 6 others
High effort thread, thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: BowlCutMogger, pneumocystosis, coomahboomah and 2 others
so how do i avoid this?

• +1
Reactions: reaper2 and Meister!
It’s quite hard to not make it look “uncanny”
Plastic surgery is plastic surgery

• +1
Reactions: Mr Test and reaper2
so how do i avoid this?
Talk to your surgeon and make it clear that you would like to preserve eye symmetry.
Cite Tom Cruise for example. His midline is way off but his face is still harmonious because of his orbitals.
If he ended up getting rhinoplasty and the surgeon opted for midline symmetry prioritization, his face would be ruined.
s-l1200.webp
a917c50e70a4c16bc35b9f0d8ce0352635-14-tom-cruise.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: MTNAscension2, iabsolvejordan and ccwarrior
Talk to your surgeon and make it clear that you would like to preserve eye symmetry.
Cite Tom Cruise for example. His midline is way off but his face is still harmonious because of his orbitals.
If he ended up getting rhinoplasty and the surgeon opted for midline symmetry prioritization, his face would be ruined.
s-l1200.webp
do u reccomend any surgeons?

• +1
Reactions: pentamogged9000, MTNAscension2, iabsolvejordan and 1 other person
Can you give me feedback on my symmetry problem in DMs? It’s not directly related to rhino more to jaw surgery

• +1
Reactions: babyfaced
What is the midline?

What is the midline?
The skeletal midline is marked by the gap between your two front teeth. (Often with crooked noses, the skeletal midline is off). Facial midline is defined by your cupid's bow, or center of upper lip. Neither are the greatest to prioritize in a rhinoplasty, but the facial midline is much better imo.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 32485 and Tabula Rasa
The skeletal midline is marked by the gap between your two front teeth. (Often with crooked noses, the skeletal midline is off). Facial midline is defined by your cupid's bow, or center of upper lip. Neither are the greatest to prioritize in a rhinoplasty, but the facial midline is much better imo.
I thought you said in your OP that IPD prioritisation is better

Which is why my minor orbital socket asymmetry is so brutal

It is, but of the midlines, facial midline is better than skeletal midline,

s-l1200.webp
a917c50e70a4c16bc35b9f0d8ce0352635-14-tom-cruise.rhorizontal.w700.jpg
What?

My surgeons just gonna think I’m autistic

Please elab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back