if you could live forever, would you even want to?

radicalrationalist

radicalrationalist

Educator
i'm like mvp, i keep having thoughts that i am compelled to post, except instead of the impossibility to making money and raising iq, and the benefits of crime. mine all focus on death

at what point would you get tired? the 1 thousandth year, the one millionth? what if you don't get the option of ending it, as religion presupposes, you will be eternally in heaven serving your god. how do religions people cope with this?

furthermore, at the consciousness level of a bacteria in the grand scale of possible iq, is it really worth it to live for a million years "learning" the facts of the entire universe when you are just a retarded hominid? what would a dog think of for a million years? how much elucidation is even possible to a limited mind? if the universe is infinitely and unfathomably complex, even after a trillion years, you'll still be at point a

this is the ultimate mindfuck when contemplating death. all options are untenable. even if you could defeat death, the implications are dire.

• +1
Reactions: Tabula Rasa and murdah
there's been some good movies about retirees or old people reminiscing about their past like ikiru or wild strawberries. those are more about inventing meaning in life, in other words, movies about coping.

but has there been the polar opposite in a cinematic treatment that captures the true visceral feeling of imagining death without sugarcoating or being complicit in helping people cope? i want a movie that is so artful in its effectiveness to convey all the possible implications of death, and obvious and transparent falsehood of religion/rebirth/afterlife that forces people to leave the theater in a state of existential panic. i think that might trigger the next evolution in humanity.

Only rich nt people would even consider it

• +1
Reactions: tempelcat4
yeah but even if they are living like kings, one day they will still get tired of it. eternity is a long time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back