Is my gym routine good?

Matheus

Matheus

Mistral
2 workouts a week with split and focus on neck and abs which are my weak points. I also do some adductors/abductors and Glutes mainly for my back issues and posture. Each one is 2h long

The first is pec and biceps
4x8 bench Press barbell
4x8 incline bench press
4x8 pec fly/pec deck idk the exact name
4x8 bench press dumbbell
4x8 Biceps curl
4x10 abductors and adductors
4x10 abs cable crunch (straight)
4x8 shrug dumbbell
4x15 to 20 neck rotation
Same, neck curl
Same, neck extension

Second is shoulder triceps
4x8 Lat pull-down
4x8 shoulder press
4x8 Rowing
4x8 lateral raise
4x8 biceps curl
4x10 back extension
4x10 glute kickback
Same as before (abs and neck) except cable crunch is done in rotation

I am a gym newbie also

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: cyprian_tomaszewski, Danish_Retard, KING REIDYZ and 1 other person
2 workouts a week with split and focus on neck and abs which are my weak points. I also do some adductors/abductors and Glutes mainly for my back issues and posture. Each one is 2h long

4x8 bench Press barbell
4x8 incline bench press
4x8 bench press dumbbell
4x8 Biceps curl
4x8 shrug dumbbell
4x15 to 20 neck rotation
Same, neck curl
Same, neck extension

4x8 Lat pull-down
4x8 shoulder press
4x8 Rowing
4x8 lateral raise
4x8 biceps curl
4x10 back extension
4x10 glute kickback
Same as before except cable crunch is done in rotation

I am a gym newbie also
Don't do gym if u are natty bro

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: KING REIDYZ, bradpittshairline, goldpill and 2 others
Too much volume

1 (one) set is enough

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: polishcel, bradpittshairline, Deleted member 28774 and 1 other person

4x8 bench Press barbell
4x8 incline bench press
4x8 bench press dumbbell
4x8 Biceps curl
4x8 shrug dumbbell
4x15 to 20 neck rotation
Same, neck curl
Same, neck extension

4x8 Lat pull-down
4x8 shoulder press
4x8 Rowing
4x8 lateral raise
4x8 biceps curl
4x10 back extension
4x10 glute kickback
Same as before (abs and neck) except cable crunch is done in rotation

I am a gym newbie also
Brooooo too much exercices. Try Push Pull Leg with 5x5 (5 set x 5 exercices but with extrem intensity)

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Cutecel2001 and Matheus
logic behind 16 sets of chest?

Brooooo too much exercices. Try Push Pull Leg with 5x5 (5 set x 5 exercices but with extrem intensity)
Do you have a template or a link? Idk what push pull means in this context

too much volume for chest do bench 3x5 leave some reps in reserve thats your main chest builder after that do some dips or doing a lot of unnecessary excersises for arms do one exercise like bicep curl

• +1
Reactions: Matheus
too much volume for chest do bench 3x5 leave some reps in reserve thats your main chest builder after that do some dips or doing a lot of unnecessary excersises for arms do one exercise like bicep curl
I see. Do you have a template?

Suggest something else if you think it's wrong
the fatigue and muscle damage aren't worth it in one singular session. the most effective volume range in a session is going to be somewhere between 3 and 8 sets (around 6 sets to failure ideal) and the absolute maximum per week is 16 sets if you make the argument that the muscle should be trained twice a week.

1 set to failure has been shown to increase MPS up to 130% 5 hours post training and doesn’t return to baseline until 29 hours later.
3 sets to failure increased MPS up to 210% within 5 hours, and it was still elevated by 130% 29 hours later.
study below shows that 12 sets instead of 8 did not result in more muscle growth even though there was a small increase in MPS suggesting that the increase was due to a greater amount of muscle damage and not a greater hypertrophy stimulus.

PMID: 20581041

• +1
Reactions: Mr. President and Matheus
Fucking awful

Here’s mine:

• Monday: Back and biceps
  • Tuesday: Chest, shoulders and triceps
  • Wednesday: Legs + Abs
  • Thursday: Back and biceps
  • Friday: Chest, shoulders and triceps
  • Saturday: Home ab workouts
  • Sunday: Rest day

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 28774, sportsmogger and Matheus
Fucking awful

Here’s mine:

• Monday: Back and biceps
  • Tuesday: Chest, shoulders and triceps
  • Wednesday: Legs + Abs
  • Thursday: Back and biceps
  • Friday: Chest, shoulders and triceps
  • Saturday: Home ab workouts
  • Sunday: Rest day
Can you give me the exact exercises you do? Number of sets, etc
I cba to do more than 3 session per week though. Even 3 is pushing it

• +1
Reactions: flippasav
the fatigue and muscle damage aren't worth it in one singular session. the most effective volume range in a session is going to be somewhere between 3 and 8 sets (around 6 sets to failure ideal) and the absolute maximum per week is 16 sets if you make the argument that the muscle should be trained twice a week.

1 set to failure has been shown to increase MPS up to 130% 5 hours post training and doesn’t return to baseline until 29 hours later.
3 sets to failure increased MPS up to 210% within 5 hours, and it was still elevated by 130% 29 hours later.
study below shows that 12 sets instead of 8 did not result in more muscle growth even though there was a small increase in MPS suggesting that the increase was due to a greater amount of muscle damage and not a greater hypertrophy stimulus.

PMID: 20581041
Great post, so I should do only 2 4x8 for each muscle group per workout?

Can you give me the exact exercises you do? Number of sets, etc
I cba to do more than 3 session per week though. Even 3 is pushing it
Chest and shoulder dumbell presses 5 sets and 6 reps minimum, chest butterflies, tricep pulldown

Dumbell rows with barbell do at least 8 sets to maximise growth, lat pulldowns, machine rows and bicep curls

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 28774 and Matheus
Chest and shoulder dumbell presses 5 sets and 6 reps minimum, chest butterflies, tricep pulldown

Dumbell rows with barbell do at least 8 sets to maximise growth, lat pulldowns, machine rows and bicep curls
I didn't really get your second paragraph tbh.
So like
Chest triceps
5x6 dumbbell press
5x6 butterflies
5x6 triceps pull-down
Shoulder Biceps
5x6 shoulder dumbbell press
And then?

• JFL
Reactions: flippasav
He’s not a power lifter cuck bro

too many sets bro

4 sets (jfl)
Rep counting (jfl)
Be chad 2 sets to failure, around 6 reps

• +1
Reactions: Mike141
arnold split mogs too
PPL if you don’t have moderate amount of muscle

Great post, so I should do only 2 4x8 for each muscle group per workout?
yes, and i suggest you track your lifts with an app or logbook, it's going to drastically help you progress as you'll be able to progressive overload more accurately instead of by feel.

• +1
Reactions: Matheus and bradpittshairline
Is 5x5 legit for beginners

yes, and i suggest you track your lifts with an app or logbook, it's going to drastically help you progress as you'll be able to progressive overload more accurately instead of by feel.
Is progressive overload on a weekly basis

I already do that using an app called Strong. It's pretty good.
In this scenario, would it be wise to do 2 full body workouts?
4x8 bench press
4x8 pec fly
4x8 Lat pull-down
4x8 shoulder press
4x8 triceps pull-down
4x8 Biceps curl
Abs rotation or straight
Glutes or adductors/abductors
Same neck exercises as before, both workouts

• +1
Reactions: redfacccee
Is progressive overload on a weekly basis
if i'm capable of doing 35kg curls for 6 reps in one workout, but in the following workout i'm capable of 35kg for 8 but only do the 6 reps again, then i provided less stimulus to those fibers. if you do the 8 reps that you are now capable of doing then you are progressively overloading, it doesn't have to be every week.

progressive overload is keeping the stimulus on the muscle fibers being trained the same workout to workout by doing what you are maximally capable of doing or at least close to maximum capability. if you can repeatedly progressively overload on your exercises then that means your training is working and that muscular and neural adaptations are occurring.

I already do that using an app called Strong. It's pretty good.
In this scenario, would it be wise to do 2 full body workouts?
4x8 bench press
4x8 pec fly
4x8 Lat pull-down
4x8 shoulder press
4x8 triceps pull-down
4x8 Biceps curl
Abs rotation or straight
Glutes or adductors/abductors
Same neck exercises as before, both workouts
i'd add in more back variety and would split all these exercises between 2 or 3 different days, splitting apart the ones that are most fatiguing to you. training frequency is individual and if it works for you meaning you're going up in weight and reps (progressive overload), it's working.

• +1
where did you get this from

i'd add in more back variety and would split all these exercises between 2 or 3 different days, splitting apart the ones that are most fatiguing to you. training frequency is individual and if it works for you meaning you're going up in weight and reps (progressive overload), it's working.
Wdym back variety?
Can you make a template? If it's not asking too much

I didn't really get your second paragraph tbh.
So like
Chest triceps
5x6 dumbbell press
5x6 butterflies
5x6 triceps pull-down
Shoulder Biceps
5x6 shoulder dumbbell press
And then?
Might as well put it that way then jfl

Wdym back variety?
Can you make a template? If it's not asking too much
traps, like a cable face pull or cable trap raise, or shrug. and add in a rowing movement, seated cable row or machine row. stable exercises are better for any exercise so i prioritize machines. also, add in a rear delt movement, face pulls already hit the rear delt but an exercise like a rear delt fly machine is good.

• +1
Arnold looked like shit
that’s not the point 🤦‍♂️ he was stull fucking huge even if his frame wasnt ideal

arnold split mogs PPL to oblivion if you have some muscle alr on you

PPL can become tiring and your arms will start slacking

• +1
Reactions: Cutecel2001
traps, like a cable face pull or cable trap raise, or shrug. and add in a rowing movement, seated cable row or machine row. stable exercises are better for any exercise so i prioritize machines. also, add in a rear delt movement, face pulls already hit the rear delt but an exercise like a rear delt fly machine is good.
I already do shrugs both sessions as part of the neck, so to speak.
I can add Rowing but either I remove another exercise or I split and do one more workout

Do you think the following is good?

1st session
Lat pulldown, lateral raises, bench press, incline bench press, bicep curl, tricep extension, glutes kickback, abs cable crunch straight, back extension, shrugs, neck extension

2nd session
Shoulder press, horizontal rowing, pec fly, dumbbell bench press, bicep curl, tricep extension, abductors/adductors machine, abs cable crunch rotation, back extension, neck rotation, neck curl

All on a basis of 4 sets, except for some exercises like lateral raises with 3 sets and then tapering weight to nuke them

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: redfacccee
For best results:
- Train 4 days a week (not 4 days straight but better 2 days on 1 day off and so on)
Split:
- Chest & Triceps
  • Flat or Incline Free Weight Pressing Movement (Bench Press, Dumbbell Press)
  • Flat or Incline Free Weight Pressing Movement (if you did flat on the first exercise do incline or the reverse)
  • Machine Press
  • Cable or Dumbbell Flies
  • Cable Pushdowns
- Back & Biceps
  • Pullups
  • Vertical Pulldown Movement (Cable Pulldown, Machine etc.)
  • Row (Barbell or Machine)
  • Pullover (Machine or Cable)
  • Barbell Curls or Dumbbell Curls
- Shoulders & Abs
  • Machine or Dumbbell Seated Shoulder Press
  • Dumbbell Lateral Raises Seated
  • Dumbbell Machine or Cable Lateral Raises
  • Shrugs (Smith Machine is best)
  • Rear Delt Flies (Machine or Facepulls with Rope)
  • Decline Crunch or Leg Raises
- Legs
  • SQUATS (mandatory no machines)
  • Leg Press
  • Leg Extensions
  • Hamstring Curls
  • Calf Raises (Standing Machine is best)
- What you do is warm up with the lighter weight until you reach the weight you will do for your working set. Then on your working set you go to failure in the 5-12 rep range. Failure means you cant go any further without help. Dont go to failure if you dont have a spotter or on movement where you can get hurt like Squats or Leg Press. Go one rep short of failure then. You do that for only one set of every exercise. Write down the weight and reps you did (be honest and do good reps) and every week you go back to train a bodypart beat your last weeks goal. Its that simple. You are doing too much volume and it would be too difficult to hit everything in 2 days if you really know how to train. You should feel like you would pass out after the training. And thats only doing 4-5 exercises of 1 set to failure (all other sets are warmup sets). Eat 4-6 animal protein based meals a day (you should never feel hungry), train hard to failure, sleep and you will get jacked in no time. You can train the neck at the gym but I do it at home with a belt harness and some plates I bought because I dont want to look autistic at the gym

arnold split mogs too
PPL if you don’t have moderate amount of muscle
ye i do arnold split but i do 2 sets to failure. not counting the 3 warmup sets i do before every exercise