Doxycycline against (b)acne

Deleted member 6963

Deleted member 6963

Overlord
Today the dermatologist prescribed me Doxycycline instead of the Differin I originally asked for.
Doxycycline is an oral antibiotic and therefore has some potential side effects.

1. Would you recommend taking a probiotic with it or would that be counterproductive?
  2. For those who took it, what were your experiences with it?
Tagging some users who mentioned using it in the past or might have some knowledge on that: @tincelw @Mr manlet @Seth Walsh @Ritalincel @benignice

Thanks in advance!

IMG 20200914 184751

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5818 and JustAFewMM
Today the dermatologist prescribed me Doxycycline instead of the Differin I originally asked for.
Doxycycline is an oral antibiotic and therefore has some potential side effects.

1. Would you recommend taking a probiotic with it or would that be counterproductive?
  2. For those who took it, what were your experiences with it?
Tagging some users who mentioned using it in the past or might have some knowledge on that: @tincelw @Mr manlet @Seth Walsh @Ritalincel @benignice

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 667539
It might make it worse. Made my acne and mood worse when the doctor gave me it. It's usually the low IQ GPs that prescribe antibiotics. Surprised a dermatologist isn't atleast recommending something along the lines of differin/duac/azelaic etc before having to resort to accutane

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6963 and Deleted member 5818
Tret not working?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6963
interesting

• +1
cookiesandbump

• +1
I had really bad acne and I was described antibiotics for ages (I think I actually took this as it rings a bell)

Basically antiobiotics might work but it's usually short term and then it goes back to normal or can even get worse (but it might be just coz my acne was really bad)
I took an antibiotic that really fucked with my gut, made me gassy asf but it stopped after a while of not taking that antibiotic
I think antiobiotics get rid of all your probiotics as well so I think you CAN take probiotics but I never understood when to take them lol so I didn't really bother doing it frequently

EDIT: come to think of it (I am on accutane now) i have no idea why they prescribed me tons of different antiobiotics for like 2-3 years it was a really big waste of time in retrospect

I think it just depends on how bad the acne is, if it is only a little bit u might as well take it and see how it affects u but at the same time if its bad idk if theres even a point

Last edited:
  • +1
Tret not working?
Basically, it's not ideal for me.. I'd prefer to be outside and be able to tan a bit. Differin is probably a better option for me. Gave it to my mom :feelshehe:

It might make it worse. Made my acne and mood worse when the doctor gave me it. It's usually the low IQ GPs that prescribe antibiotics. Surprised a dermatologist isn't atleast recommending something along the lines of differin/duac/azelaic etc before having to resort to accutane

It might make it worse. Made my acne and mood worse when the doctor gave me it.
the Antibiotics or the probiotics in conjunction with the antibiotics?

Well, I asked for Differin but he said it won't make a big difference... My plan is now to get a prescription for it from an other doctor. It won't get rid of the acne on my shoulders though... So should I still use doxycycline (with or without a probiotic) and hope for the best?

the Antibiotics or the probiotics in conjunction with the antibiotics?

Well, I asked for Differin but he said it won't make a big difference... My plan is now to get a prescription for it from an other doctor. It won't get rid of the acne on my shoulders though... So should I still use doxycycline (with or without a probiotic) and hope for the best?
I think you shouldn't take any antibiotics at all!

• +1
I think you shouldn't take any antibiotics at all!
Ok, thanks for your opinion. I think it will help short term, but I don't see why it won't come back after stopping it...

• +1
Reactions: Seth Walsh
@belnar93 I've read that you were taking antibiotics against acne as well. Were they effective or did it just return to how it used to be after stopping them? Did you experience side effects from it?

Antibiotics arent sustainable and wont retain results most of the time

• +1