Which is better Hair restoration clinic vs Board Certified surgeon clinic vs Online DIY

rainyseason

rainyseason

Iron
I noticed I have been thinning for a while now so I decided to look up any hair restoration clinics near me. I saw one that was marketed as cheap and with celebrity testimonials. I saw a post here regarding getting hair transplants from IAHR and saw that Dr. Arocha was near me. Regarding online DIY treatment, I mean like Keeps and just doing anything helpful from the searching the site.
The celebrity testimonial one included:
- PRP Treatment once a month
- Laser Cap
- Min and Fin
- Doctor monitoring your progress
All for around 200 dollars a month
I haven't gotten a consultation from the board certified clinic yet but i'm going to guess it is more expensive.
For online, Keeps would cost at least 30 bucks but that is just fin and minoxidil.
I don't have much money but I am saving for a hair transplant.
Which would be better in my case?

go to a dermatologist and get a trichogram. This helps you understand where you are standing: which regions are miniaturizing, which areas are still untouched etc. and serves as your baseline.

Then give fin a try for 6 months to 1 year. If you get minor side effects stick with it and see if they go away on their own. After 6 months (technically already at 3-4 month mark) and beyond you can do a second trichogram and schould see major improvement.

If you are not happy with the results consider adding Minox and Ru58841. They are a lot more tedious to apply everyday and more expensive than generic 5mg fin cut into 4 pieces. Fighting hairloss is a long term cause, hence you want something easy to adhere to. Swallowing a pill literally takes seconds. Also your hair becomes dependant on the minox, that's why you should always give your hair a chance with fin first and afterwards you can still add minox.

PRP is crap, no reliable evidence and no standardisation for it. Laser cap same thing.

The only costs are a minimum of two trichograms (I can get them for 80 euros in my country) and the cost of generic fin. That's all you need. Shelling out 200 dollars a month is beyond ridiculous. You can get a decent transplant after 1.5 years for that money.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Stare and Deleted member 10536
go to a dermatologist and get a trichogram. This helps you understand where you are standing: which regions are miniaturizing, which areas are still untouched etc. and serves as your baseline.

Then give fin a try for 6 months to 1 year. If you get minor side effects stick with it and see if they go away on their own. After 6 months (technically already at 3-4 month mark) and beyond you can do a second trichogram and schould see major improvement.

If you are not happy with the results consider adding Minox and Ru58841. They are a lot more tedious to apply everyday and more expensive than generic 5mg fin cut into 4 pieces. Fighting hairloss is a long term cause, hence you want something easy to adhere to. Swallowing a pill literally takes seconds. Also your hair becomes dependant on the minox, that's why you should always give your hair a chance with fin first and afterwards you can still add minox.

PRP is crap, no reliable evidence and no standardisation for it. Laser cap same thing.

The only costs are a minimum of two trichograms (I can get them for 80 euros in my country) and the cost of generic fin. That's all you need. Shelling out 200 dollars a month is beyond ridiculous. You can get a decent transplant after 1.5 years for that money.
Sounds good, but wouldn't you want to go with fin as a last resort option though?
I'm really afraid of sides and also reason I'm afraid of gymmaxxing on a cycle.

Sounds good, but wouldn't you want to go with fin as a last resort option though?
I'm really afraid of sides and also reason I'm afraid of gymmaxxing on a cycle.
what are your other options? Minox will not halt hairloss, it will give your hairs a temporary boost and then dht miniturization overpowers any positive effects of the minox. Alfatradiol is too weak. Fluridil doesn't have strong enough testimonials. Topical fin gives the same side effects as oral. Ru58841 is not fully researched. CB0301 is still too expensive and clinical data is conflicting whether it's losing efficacy after I think 1 year? Can't remember the exact timeframe.

Everything else like natural oils, laser cap, prp etc. won't work.

Fin is still the gold standard. Long term side effects are either uber rare or nonexistant. Try fin 1mg or 1.25mg a day, push through if you get minor side effects in the beginning (hormones recalibrating). Maybe go for EOD and/or lower the dose to say 0.5mg. If you really really get side effects, stuff that is measureable and not just in your head. Then stop it.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10536
what are your other options? Minox will not halt hairloss, it will give your hairs a temporary boost and then dht miniturization overpowers any positive effects of the minox. Alfatradiol is too weak. Fluridial doesn't have strong enough testimonials. Topical fin gives the same side effects as oral. Ru58841 is not fully researched. CB0301 is still too expensive and clinical data is conflicting whether it's losing efficacy after I think 1 year? Can't remember the exact timeframe.

Everything else like natural oils, laser cap, prp etc. won't work.

Fin is still the gold standard. Long term side effects are either uber rare or nonexistant. Try fin 1mg or 1.25mg a day, push through if you get minor side effects in the beginning (hormones recalibrating). If you really really get side effects, stuff that is measureable and not just in your head. Then stop it.
I'm just afraid.
I don't think I have hair loss or aggressive balding, but it's better to be aware and prepared to act at any time. My hairline naturally has some nw1-2 idk, since 16yo and hasn't changed much since. My father in 60s? Has like nw2.5, maybe, so shouldn't be that bad for me, hopefully.
I'd just like to fix up my temple region, so should be saving for ht in turkey tbh.

• +1
Reactions: Casadonis
I'm just afraid.
I don't think I have hair loss or aggressive balding, but it's better to be aware and prepared to act at any time. My hairline naturally has some nw1-2 idk, since 16yo and hasn't changed much since. My father in 60s? Has like nw2.5, maybe, so shouldn't be that bad for me, hopefully.
I'd just like to fix up my temple region, so should be saving for ht in turkey tbh.
how is the hair looking on your mother's side? Uncle/maternal grandfather?

Similar case to me. Naturally tall forehead + NW1-2 since 16yo. When i was 18 my Barber legit said sorry because he saw my right temple and thought it was gonna be over in a few years. Well my hairline didn't move since then (several years) and density is still the same. However I still take Alfatradiol (as a carrier) + Ru58841. I took Fin 1.25mg a day for 7 months and had no side effects... apart from my right nipple getting slightly puffier because of already existing, albeit very minor, gyno tissue. The doc says it's not enough to warrant surgery, but fuck that guy. I'll get gyno surgery and then still hop on Fin, so I don't have to keep taking RU.

Planning on getting HT too, but from more reputable surgeons in Europe (Ferduni e.g.). You should look into temple point HT, they are very important for framing the face.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10536
how is the hair looking on your mother's side? Uncle/maternal grandfather?

Similar case to me. Naturally tall forehead + NW1-2 since 16yo. When i was 18 my Barber legit said sorry because he saw my right temple and thought it was gonna be over in a few years. Well my hairline didn't move since then (several years) and density is still the same. However I still take Alfatradiol (as a carrier) + Ru58841. I took Fin 1.25mg a day for 7 months and had no side effects... apart from my right nipple getting slightly puffier because of already existing, albeit very minor, gyno tissue. The doc says it's not enough to warrant surgery, but fuck that guy. I'll get gyno surgery and then still hop on Fin, so I don't have to keep taking RU.

Planning on getting HT too, but from more reputable surgeons in Europe (Ferduni e.g.). You should look into temple point HT, they are very important for framing the face.
They're all dead, so dunno. Died rather early, never really saw.
Ye I'll look into it for sure. Thanks.
My hair in general, if you haven't seen already.
IMG 20201206 142308

Not of hairline, but still...

They're all dead, so dunno. Died rather early, never really saw.
Ye I'll look into it for sure. Thanks.
My hair in general, if you haven't seen already.
View attachment 852830
Not of hairline, but still...
looks good. I'm hiding the temples too, though with semi curtains. That your hairs reach that length show that they're not miniaturized. If you look at your hairline and the first few rows of hairs, are they just as long or do they seems to only grow 1-3 inches and are a bit thinner? If yes then those hairs are miniaturizing.
Always remeber though, it is better to be safe than sorry. At this status if you try fin, you wouldn't really need a HT. if you were to recede or thin out though... and the issue with hair transplants is, that they can't really replaces what you had. The texture, color, growth direction, thickness is often off. Especially if you go to the cheaper surgeons...

take a trichogram and see if you are miniaturizing. If not you could potentially wait until you start to do so and then hop on fin.